Sunday 26 July 2009

Max Ehrman's "a Prayer" English and Danish



I never knew Max Ehrman's work - but the more I read the more my soul wraps itself in his words.
"A Prayer" is apparently one of his most famous, although I think "Desiderata" (see elsewhere on my blog) may compete for a 1st place.

Sunset at Beachy Head, 2009 (my photo)

Here goes - and I wish I could have said it so beautifully:

Let me do my work each day;
and if the darkened hours of despair overcome me,
may I not forget the strength that comforted me
in the desolation of other times.

May I still remember the bright hours
that found me walking over the silent hills of my childhood,
or dreaming on the margin of a quiet river,
when a light glowed within me,
and I promised my early God to have courage
amid the tempests of the changing years.

Spare me from bitterness
and from the sharp passions of unguarded moments.
May I not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit.
Though the world knows me not,
may my thoughts and actions be such
as shall keep me friendly with myself.

Lift up my eyes from the earth,
and let me not forget the uses of the stars.
Forbid that I should judge others
lest I condemn myself.
Let me not follow the clamor of the world,
but walk calmly in mypath.

Give me a few friends
who will love me for what I am;
and keep ever burning before my vagrant steps
the kindly light of hope.

And though age and infirmity overtake me,
and I come not within sight of the castle of my dreams,
teach me still to be thankful for life,
and for time's olden memories that are good and sweet;
and may the evening's twilight find me gentle still.
...
...
Danish translation (by me)
...
Giv mig ro til den daglige don’t;
og mister jeg haabet i mørke stunder,
husk mig da på den styrke,
der trøstede mig når jeg før var nede.

Lad mig mindes de lyse timer
fra min barndoms ture i de tavse bakker,
hvor jeg sad ved den rislende bæk
og følte lys og haab i mit bryst,
da jeg lovede min tidlige Gud at bekæmpe
ændringers storm med mod.

Frels mig fra bitterhed
og det ubevogtede øjebliks vilde passion.
Lad mig huske, at fattigdom og rigdom hviler i ånden.
Da jeg er ukendt for verden,
lad mine tanker og handlinger
bygge venskab med mig selv.

Løft mine øjne fra jorden
til stjernernes skønne glans,
og lad mig dømme mig selv
før jeg dømmer andre.
Styr mig fri af verdens støj
og lad mig følge min sti i fred.

Giv mig få, men gode venner,
som vil elske mig for den jeg er;
og lad mine famlende skridt blive ført
af håbets venlige lys.
Og hvis alder og sygdom presser på,
og jeg taber af syne mine drømmes slot,
da lær mig takken for livets gave,
for gode og søde minder.
Og lad aftenens tusmørke give mig mildhedens slør.

No comments: